My friends and I were discussing the dating scene now, which is basically all on apps, and here are some things I have determined to be new dating truths, and some tips for y’all if you venture out there:
- Be prepared and KNOW that men and women are dating or “talking to” multiple people at once. I remember that I dated this guy, who extolled his love for me after our dinner date (thanks, Kevin #not), and then I saw that he was “ONLINE!” all day the next day, indicating he was talking to other women. When I called him out on it, asking why he was online all day if he just liked me, he said he wasn’t sure I was into him, so he was keeping his options open. Hm. Kev? Ya’ done.
2. It’s totally okay to just ghost mid-conversation, even if you have been messaging for like two weeks. It’s sort of like, someone better comes along, and it’s over. And you really don’t have to apologize for it, or feel bad that you just left this person hanging. You know why? There is no such thing as etiquette in online dating. Ghosting=Standard. No guilt needed.
3. If someone refuses to Facetime before meeting, then they are most likely catfishing you. What is catfishing? It’s posting pics that look nothing like you, or are from like 20 years ago. When someone says, “Oh, no, I can’t do that; that’s too awkward to Facetime,” it’s a red flag. Know what’s more awks? When you show up and a gorilla juice head (read: Jersey Shore, thanks for the term Snooki) is at the bar missing teeth and wearing a Porky Pig t-shirt (yes, this happened to me).
4. Sometimes, men who are super young will message older women, which always comes with a, “Hm…why did he like my photo? Is he hammered? Or was it an error?” The thing is there is something called MILF Hunters. These are young men who actually WANT to date older women. They will message things like, “Am I too young for you?” (probably from their high school locker rooms), and you will be flattered and say, “Oh, I don’t know! Maybe? Haha.” Steer clear. These MILF Hunters just want a conquest and have a fetish. They troll Whole Foods and Barnes and Nobles looking for moms in yoga pants who may throw out the vibe. I mean, hey, if that’s your thing, consider it a tip! Otherwise, block the boy.
5. Choose the right dating app for you and what you’re looking for. Bumble is best for women who don’t want to get blown up with disGUSting sexual innuendos from heinous men, because only men they “like” can message them. Match may be the way to go if you’re looking for a relationship, because you have to pay for this service, which means you’re serious about it. E-harmony is for people who have a lot of time to write a profile, because it takes 1,000 hours to answer all their questions, and no one even cares to read your profile if they don’t like your looks first. (Note: Most people swipe quickly and go for looks “first” on the apps). Tinder seems to be for younger people (like 20s) and may have a better hook-up rate. Hinge is for people in urban areas, and Zoosk is just weird. (Disclaimer: these are just MY opinions. You do you).
So, there you go! Now go have some fun online dating and use these tips to keep it going! Oh, and please come back here and tell me your stories. Or, add to these tips if you have them in the comments!